Environmental Awareness and climate protection
Corissia Hotels: a sustainable, environmentally conscious holiday in Crete
One of the greatest priorities of Corissia Hotels is the conscious and consistent respect for ecological regulations and the unspoiled nature and natural resources of the island of Crete.
The resulting preservation of the living environment, health and quality of life of all of us, guests and locals, is certainly one of the most important prerequisites for a unique holiday experience.
We also hope that by consistently reducing our CO2 emissions, we can also make our contribution to slowing down global warming.
We firmly believe that a strategic redefinition of the tourism industry based on sustainable development and environmental protection is urgently needed.
Here are some of the measures that we as a hotel company have taken and apply on a daily basis in order to also make our contribution to nature protection:
1. In the construction of our hotel buildings we used mostly natural building materials and ecological paints. The building insulation for thermal insulation was carried out according to the respective highest international standards. The newly built Corissia Harmony Hotel and the Chania Flair Hotel each have an energy efficiency class A+ with a final energy demand of 26 kWh/(m2a).
2. We have installed various systems that make use of alternative and renewable energy sources. We use solar energy as well as geothermal energy for hot water supply, heating and air conditioning to significantly (up to 75%) reduce our facilities' needs for conventional forms of energy (oil, natural gas, electricity).
3. We use last generation heat pumps and air conditioning systems with a very high degree of energy efficiency
4. We use electronic systems to automatically switch electrical appliances on and off whenever it is appropriate
5. We use LED energy saving lamps for maximum performance with low power consumption..
6. We actively protect the region's water resources by installing systems to reduce water consumption and using modern biological treatment plants.
7. We always use environmentally friendly cleaning products.
8. When dining our guests, we focus on quality instead of quantity. We are not all-inclusive hotels by conviction. We apply high quality, innovative gastronomy concepts and thus avoid the excessive waste of food and the usual production of mountains of waste.
9. We use environmentally friendly, recyclable packaging material for our daily deliveries to avoid and reduce waste We therefore also avoid plastic packaging at your breakfast and evening buffet.
10. We cover a large part of our needs in fruit, vegetables and olive oil from our own organic cultivation. Otherwise we buy exclusively from farmers in the region.
11. We are happy to support and actively participate in regional tree planting programmes.
You can also contribute to environmental and climate protection during your holiday
Effective environmental protection and relaxed holidays are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, you can also make your personal contribution as a holiday guest without having to give up your comfort. Here are some tips:
Always switch off the lights and other electrical appliances when you leave the room
The power supply to Corissia Hotels' rooms is automatically cut off a few minutes after you leave the room.
Only leave the air conditioner on with closed windows and balcony doorss
To avoid wasting energy, the air conditioning in the rooms of Corissia Hotels is automatically switched off when the balcony door is open.
Only have your towels changed when it’s really necessary
Leave your towels on the floor of your bathroom if they are to be changed.
If possible, take the stairs and not the elevator
Avoid wasting water
Do not leave litter on the beach or in the sea