Information about the coronavirus COVID-19 ++ Update 06.07.2020
On this page you will find continuously updated information on the coronavirus crisis in relation to your holiday trip to Crete. Our team is monitoring the situation closely. Please stay healthy and do not forget the most important hygiene rules according to WHO!
The very first guests of the summer season 2020 enjoy the beautiful sea and the sandy beach of Georgioupolis in front of the Corissia Park (01.07.2020)
We did it! The Corissia Hotels in Crete resumed their regular operations on 1 July 2020.
What is the current situation in Crete?
Current entry requirements to Greece *
All travellers to Greece are required to complete online a so-called Passenger Locator Form (PLF) at least 48 hours before entry, providing detailed information about their point of departure, the length of previous stays in other countries and the address of their stay in Greece. After successfully completing the above form, you will receive a QR code which you must show at the airport terminal upon arrival. Depending on the QR code, the screening staff at the airport will direct passengers either to the screening area where a SARS-CoV-2 test is carried out or to the exit (baggage claim area or passport control). All passengers are requested to comply with all necessary preventive hygiene measures (use of masks and physical distance) at the airport terminal.
After filling out and sending the PL-Form, you will first receive a confirmation e-mail about the receipt of the form. The required QR code will not be sent immediately, but, according to previous experience reports of our guests, 1 to 2 days before the planned flight date, regardless of how early the form was filled out. So we recommend to fill out the form about 3-4 days before the planned flight date and not necessarily very early. After receiving the QR code, please either keep it digitally in your mobile phone or print it out on paper. Upon arrival at the airport terminal, you will be asked to present the QR code so that it can be scanned.
* We very much regret this unexpected regulation by the Greek government. On the one hand, the PLF was introduced at very short notice; on the other hand, the platform is currently not yet technically mature. There are currently strong reactions from the Greek tourism industry, which is exerting strong pressure on the responsible authorities. We really hope for an early loosening / modification / abolition of the PLF obligation or at least for an early, significant improvement of the platform. We also consider the recommended self-isolation of a guest until the test result is available, should he/she be tested for SARS-CoV-2 at the airport screening, to be very problematic. We, in Corissia, would of course allow this self-isolation of one of our guests on a voluntary basis (suitable room, meals etc.), but we do not consider ourselves in a position to demand it.
What is the current situation in Crete with regard to the coronavirus crisis?
The Corissia Park in front of the sandy beach of Georgioupolis, Crete
The public life of Crete was, after governmental orders to slow down the spread of coronavirus, as in the whole of Greece, significantly restricted until mid-May: Most shops, but also schools, universities and public institutions were closed, and the population was only allowed to leave their homes if there were good reasons. This led to comparatively astonishing results throughout Greece: since the beginning of the crisis, 176 people have died of COVID-19 throughout Greece till the end of June 2020. In Crete, a total of 17 people had only mild symptoms, for several weeks until the end of June 2020 no new COVID-19 cases were registered on the island.
Subsequently, the strict measures were largely withdrawn: all shops and public facilities are now open again, subject to increased hygienic measures. There is no general mask obligation (exception: hospitals and similar institutions). People are still attentive and pay attention to social distancing, but public life has become much more active. All state hospitals, private clinics and the university hospital in Heraklion are on heightened alert. The movement of goods is not limited, and food supplies are easy.
Since 1 July 2020 most hotels in Crete have reopened. The international air traffic to Crete is allowed again and takes place without problems. The first holiday guests have arrived and are already enjoying a completely relaxed situation on Crete: great weather, absolutely not overcrowded sandy beaches as well as relaxed, friendly people who inconspicuously pay attention to the increased hygiene measures.
Will my holiday in Crete or my hotel stay in Corissia be affected by the measures taken to slow down the spread of coronavirus? What do I have to consider?
First we would like to clear up some rumours: on Crete there is no generalised COVID-19 testing either on arrival or departure, no general mask requirement, no beach boxes and no buffet bans from 1st July 2020. The hotels will not be converted into clinics, instead increased hygiene measures and inconspicuous procedures will be used to prevent infections according to predefined protocols. The aim is to ensure the best possible level of precaution and prevention, in the interests of the safety and health of the holiday guests and staff, but without restricting or clouding the holiday experience of the guest.
We would like to briefly outline the most important aspects of these procedures in the following. They are based on epidemiological findings to minimize the droplet concentration and the virus load, to which the very low COVID-19 case numbers in Greece to date are very likely attributable: distance - hygiene / disinfection - fresh air.
- The rules of social distancing still apply, a distance of 1.5m - 2m between people should be maintained (not between couples or members of a family). Accordingly, we increase the distance of the furniture in all public areas (tables in the restaurant, parasols and deck chairs on the beach etc.) and ask you to keep the minimum distance also on other occasions. The Corissia Hotels consist of several spatially separate houses, each with 3 to a maximum of 70 rooms per building, mostly in an open building style. Our restaurants are open and offer sufficient space for our guests, so that good ventilation is always guaranteed and a minimum distance of 2 metres between guests can be maintained without any difficulty. The beach and the pools may of course be used, but care must be taken to keep the minimum distance. In Corissia there are, as before, enough sunbathing areas, so that the annoying 'pre-booking' of sunbeds is not necessary.
- The most important hygiene rules according to WHO continue to apply. We are significantly increasing our hygiene measures: Dispensers for hand disinfectants in all public areas, intensive cleaning and disinfection of hotel rooms and public contact surfaces (door handles, elevator call buttons, tables, chairs, deck chairs etc.), regular ventilation etc.. According to the regulation, there is no obligation for guests or staff to wear masks, only our staff working in the catering facilities and cleaning must wear masks and disposable gloves for protection.
- The buffet and a-la-carte restaurants will be available with improved hygiene measures, and meal times will be adjusted to avoid possible crowding. The kitchen and restaurant staff will use masks and disposable gloves for protection. Before using the buffet, guests are asked to disinfect their hands with disinfectants provided and to maintain a corresponding minimum distance from the next guest. Guests can serve themselves on buffet items that are provided as portions. The rest of the dishes will be placed on the guest's plate by our staff, who will be standing directly at the buffet, so that the direct contact of the guests with the serving cutlery is avoided. All public areas including the dining rooms are open, so that good ventilation with fresh sea air is always guaranteed and high aerosol concentrations, as they occur in closed rooms, can be avoided.
- In case of illness, the Corissia Hotels have made all necessary preparations to ensure that appropriate medical care can be provided quickly (doctor on site, possibilities for SARS-CoV-2 testing, coordination by private clinic in Chania / university hospital in Heraklion etc.).
- Intensive training programmes for all hotel staff by certified experts are already underway. Our hotels meet the criteria of the official health protocols as published by the Greek government and have already received the appropriate certification.
Until when will the hotels in Greece be closed? What happens with my booking?
Free rebooking without any surcharge or free cancellation for direct booking possible.
Our hotel's own service team is available to you at all times with advice and assistance.
Update: Since 1 July 2020 most hotels in Crete have reopened.
Due to the current developments of the coronavirus pandemic, the Greek government has enacted a decree prohibiting the operation of holiday hotels in Greece until 15 June 2020 as a preventive measure against the spread of the infection. International air traffic to Crete will be permitted again from 01.07.2020. We are therefore legally obliged to stop our operations by 30.06.2020.
We are very sorry if this decision also affects your booking in one of the Corissia Hotels in Crete. It is a very unpleasant situation, which unfortunately massively affects your well-deserved holiday.
In response, the management of Corissia Hotels has taken the following decisions to possibly mitigate the negative effects of this unprecedented situation:
1 All guests of the Corissia Hotels whose vacation booked directly with us starts until 30.06.2020 have the possibility to postpone their stay to another date until 31.10.2020 completely free of charge and without surcharge, subject to availability. It does not matter that the current room rates for the months July and August are significantly higher than those for the low season. With this rebooking the hotel price booked for the previous season remains exactly the same, even if the guests decide to rebook e.g. to August. This corresponds to a special reduction of up to 60%, depending on the selected travel period.
Our guests, who have booked a flight directly with us and thus separately, can also take advantage of the current special offers of most airlines, which also allow free rebooking to a later date.
2 If it is not possible to postpone your holiday, you can of course cancel your stay in Corissia free of charge if you book directly. There are no cancellation fees for your hotel booking and we will refund the deposit in full.
3 Also for guests who have booked a package tour with a tour operator starting until 30.06.2020, the hotel will of course not charge any cancellation fee to the respective operator.
We take care of our guests.
Free rebooking and cancellation options until the start of the trip in case of a direct booking.
Our regular cancellation terms for direct bookings are as follows:
"In case of cancellation, there are no fees for you at all, as long as the cancellation is made at least 15 days before your arrival. If the cancellation is made in the last 2 weeks before arrival, a fee in the amount of the deposit is due. This fee does not apply in case of acute illness before the planned trip: a medical certificate with previously confirmed flight booking is sufficient."
This means that if your trip is prevented either by a direct infection or by quarantine measures ordered by the government due to the coronavirus, you do not bear any risk if you book directly in Corissia, even if the cancellation is made shortly before your arrival. There are no cancellation fees for your hotel booking and we will refund the deposit in full. To avoid possible misuse, we only ask for a previously confirmed flight booking at the planned travel time.
Furthermore we offer free rebooking options. This means that you can change your booking date at any time without additional charges, subject to availability. For the calculation of the new hotel price, the offers valid on the rebooking date will be applied.
Therefore you do not need a travel cancellation insurance for your hotel booking directly with us.
The most important hygiene rules according to WHO
1 It is best to turn away if you have to cough or sneeze. There should be at least one meter distance between you and other people.
2 Please use a tissue only once. Then dispose of it in a bin with a lid.
3 When coughing or sneezing, keep the crook of your arm in front of your mouth and nose when no tissue is available.
4 After blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing, wash your hands thoroughly, either with alcohol-based disinfectant or with soap and water.
Especially in times of crisis we should stick together
Our company has a strong operating concept, a solid balance sheet and liquidity that will enable us to survive this crisis. In the meantime, we will continue to monitor the situation and support our guests, partners and employees during this difficult time. Our thoughts remain with the people affected by this outbreak.
We would like to thank our guests for the trust they have placed in us! Until the middle / end of June 2020, i.e. in the period when all Greek hotels have to remain closed according to government regulations, only 32% of the guests who booked directly with us have so far cancelled free of charge. 68% of the direct bookings for April / May / June have made use of our offer to rebook their holiday to a later date free of charge and without extra expenses!
Stay healthy. See you soon.
The medical staff, doctors, nurses, laboratory assistants, as well as all those who work in the hospitals and clinics and are courageously in the front line in the fight against the pandemic deserve not only our greatest respect but also our active support. Clinic Tsepeti in Chania Crete, with the financial support of Corissia Hotels, will receive 2 new ventilators and special protective clothing (masks, gowns etc.) to prepare for the emergency, which hopefully will not occur. Please help to maintain our liquidity in this difficult time by not cancelling your booking out of fear and uncertainty. A free cancellation due to the coronavirus crisis is possible with us at any time up to the day before your planned arrival. Thank you for your understanding!
We would like to emphasize once again: not only for direct bookings but also for package tours via tour operators, Corissia Hotels do not charge a cancellation fee to the guest or the operator in the context of the current coronavirus crisis. All guests who have booked a package tour should contact their travel agent or tour operator directly. Neither cancellations nor rebookings are possible directly for package tours with us.
The tourism industry has been severely affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Hundreds of thousands of tourism companies, travel agencies, tour operators, hotels, airlines, transfer companies, etc. are facing liquidity problems and have well-founded existential fears, and countless employees fear for their jobs. Especially in times of crisis, everyone in the tourism industry should stick together: Corissia Hotels provided travel agents with 10,000 overnight stays including half board and airport transfers on Crete free of charge.