Information about the coronavirus COVID-19 ++ Update 26.09.2021
On this page you will find continuously updated information on the coronavirus crisis in relation to your holiday trip to Crete. Our team is monitoring the situation closely. Please stay healthy and do not forget the most important hygiene rules according to WHO!
What is the current situation in Crete with regard to the coronavirus crisis?
Current data regarding Crete according to ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) - Week 37 2021
Cases in 14 days
11.840 per 100.000
14-day case notification rate
231 per 100.000*
* The calculation of notification rate is based on the native population of the island, i.e 636.504 inhabitants. However, during the tourist season (April to November), the actual population of Crete is more than quadrupled. This should be taken into account when looking at the official notification rate, as the real notification rate is many times lower than stated above.
Current data regarding Corissia Hotels - Week 37. 2021
Cases in 7 days
Tests per week
Cases in 14 days
* Every employee of Corissia Hotels is tested twice a week by the specialist staff of the private clinic Tsepeti in Chania before the start of the shift directly on site by using a rapid antigen test. This replaces the legally required weekly testing by means of a self-test which does not apply to us.
As a holiday guest in Crete, you have no significant restrictions. All shops and shops are open, there are no exit restrictions. There is no obligation to wear a mask outdoors, only a simple surgical or fabric mask must be worn in all closed rooms accessible to the public. Restaurants and bars (except in hotels), theatres, cinemas, nightclubs etc. may only serve vaccinated or recovered, seated persons indoors, only a minimum distance must be kept outdoors. Larger gatherings of people where a safe distance cannot be maintained are to be avoided at all costs. In all good hotels, predefined COVID-19 protocols have been used consistently since 2020 very successfully and are strictly controlled. The situation on site therefore still remains relaxed and you can, just like very many holiday guests before you, experience a completely untroubled holiday and return home healthy.
Corissia Hotels in Crete consistently apply increased hygiene measures and inconspicuous procedures to prevent infections according to predefined protocols. They are based on epidemiological findings to minimise droplet concentration and viral load according to the following basic principle: distance - hygiene / disinfection - fresh air. The aim is to ensure the best possible level of precaution and prevention, in the interests of the safety and health of the holiday guests and staff, but without restricting or clouding the holiday experience of the guest.You can find detailed information here.
Intensive training programmes of the entire hotel staff by certified experts have already been conducted and are regularly updated. In the meantime, our entire hotel staff has been vaccinated against COVID-19. Nevertheless, a rapid test is carried out on each of our staff members 2 times a week.
Our objective for the summer season 2021 is fully achieved so far: since the beginning of the season in mid-May until today, not a single COVID-19 case has been registered in Corissia, neither among the guests nor among the staff. We are doing our utmost to ensure that this remains exactly the case until the end of the season and beyond!
Thanks to our cooperation with a renowned private clinic on Crete, a coronavirus antigen test (both rapid test and PCR), which may be required for the return journey, can be carried out directy in your Corissia Hotel with ease.
We cover the personnel and transport costs, our guests only pay the costs for the test: 20 € for the rapid test, 60 € for the PCR test. In case of a rapid test, you will receive the written result within a few hours, in case of a PCR test within 12 to 24 hours after sample collection.
What are the current entry requirements for Greece?
All travellers to Greece from the member states of the European Union and the Schengen Area by direct air via the airports of Chania and Heraklion are exempt from the requirement of quarantine. The prerequisite for travellers aged 12 and over is either a certificate of a negative Rapid test (no more than 48 hours before entry) or PCR test (no more than 72 hours before entry) from a recognised testing laboratory from the country of departure, proof of recovery or a written certificate of a complete vaccination completed at least 14 days prior to entry. A person is considered to have recovered if he or she can present a positive PCR test that was carried out at least 1 month and a maximum of 6 months ago and does not show any relevant symptoms. Children under 12 are exempt from the above requirements.
All travellers to Greece are required to complete online up to the day of arrival a so-called Passenger Locator Form (PLF), providing detailed information about their point of departure, the length of previous stays in other countries and the address of their stay in Greece. After successfully filling out the above form, you will first receive a confirmation e-mail about the receipt of the form and then a QR code, which you must show upon arrival at the airport terminal. The QR code is sent the day (sometimes only a few hours) before the planned trip to the specified e-mail. Depending on the QR code, the screening staff at the airport will direct passengers either to the screening area where a SARS-CoV-2 test is carried out or to the exit (baggage claim area or passport control). All passengers are requested to comply with all necessary preventive hygiene measures (use of masks and physical distance) at the airport terminal.
After receiving the QR code, please either store it digitally in your mobile phone or print it out on paper. Upon arrival at the airport terminal, you will be asked to present the QR code so that it can be scanned. If no QR code is sent for technical reasons or if you are already on the trip before receiving the QR code, you can simply show the confirmation mail. In this case the confirmation mail is sufficient according to official information.
Will my holiday in Crete or my hotel stay in Corissia be affected by the measures taken to slow down the spread of coronavirus? What do I have to consider?
The hotels will not be converted into clinics, instead increased hygiene measures and inconspicuous procedures will be used to prevent infections according to predefined protocols. The aim is to ensure the best possible level of precaution and prevention, in the interests of the safety and health of the holiday guests and staff, but without restricting or clouding the holiday experience of the guest.
We would like to briefly outline the most important aspects of these procedures in the following. They are based on epidemiological findings to minimize the droplet concentration and the virus load, according to the following basic principle: distance - hygiene / disinfection - fresh air.
- The rules of social distancing still apply, a distance of 1.5m - 2m between people should be maintained (not between couples or members of a family). Accordingly, we increase the distance of the furniture in all public areas (tables in the restaurant, parasols and deck chairs on the beach etc.) and ask you to keep the minimum distance also on other occasions. The Corissia Hotels consist of several spatially separate houses, each with 3 to a maximum of 70 rooms per building, mostly in an open building style. Our restaurants are open and offer sufficient space for our guests, so that good ventilation is always guaranteed and a minimum distance of 2 metres between guests can be maintained without any difficulty. The beach and the pools may of course be used, but care must be taken to keep the minimum distance. In Corissia there are, as before, enough sunbathing areas, so that the annoying 'pre-booking' of sunbeds is not necessary.
- The most important hygiene rules according to WHO continue to apply. We are significantly increasing our hygiene measures: Dispensers for hand disinfectants in all public areas, intensive cleaning and disinfection of hotel rooms and public contact surfaces (door handles, elevator call buttons, tables, chairs, deck chairs etc.), regular ventilation etc.. According to the regulation, there is no obligation for guests or staff to wear masks, only our staff working in the catering facilities and cleaning must wear masks and disposable gloves for protection.
- The buffet and a-la-carte restaurants will be available with improved hygiene measures, and meal times will be adjusted to avoid possible crowding. The kitchen and restaurant staff will use masks and disposable gloves for protection. Before using the buffet, guests are asked to disinfect their hands with disinfectants provided and to maintain a corresponding minimum distance from the next guest. Guests can serve themselves on buffet items that are provided as portions. The rest of the dishes will be placed on the guest's plate by our staff, who will be standing directly at the buffet, so that the direct contact of the guests with the serving cutlery is avoided. All public areas including the dining rooms are open, so that good ventilation with fresh sea air is always guaranteed and high aerosol concentrations, as they occur in closed rooms, can be avoided.
- In case of illness, the Corissia Hotels have made all necessary preparations to ensure that appropriate medical care can be provided quickly (doctor on site, possibilities for SARS-CoV-2 testing, coordination by private clinic in Chania / university hospital in Heraklion etc.).
- Intensive training programmes of the entire hotel staff by certified experts have already been carried out and are regularly updated. Our hotels meet the criteria of the official health protocols as published by the Greek government and have already received the appropriate certification.
We take care of our guests.
Free rebooking and cancellation options until the start of the trip in case of a direct booking.
Our regular cancellation terms for direct bookings are as follows:
"In case of cancellation, there are no fees for you at all, as long as the cancellation is made at least 15 days before your arrival. If the cancellation is made in the last 2 weeks before arrival, a fee in the amount of the deposit is due. This fee does not apply in case of acute illness before the planned trip: a medical certificate with previously confirmed flight booking is sufficient."
This means that if your trip is prevented either by a direct infection or by quarantine measures ordered by the government due to the coronavirus, you do not bear any risk if you book directly in Corissia, even if the cancellation is made shortly before your arrival. There are no cancellation fees for your hotel booking and we will refund the deposit in full. To avoid possible misuse, we only ask for a previously confirmed flight booking at the planned travel time.
Furthermore we offer free rebooking options. This means that you can change your booking date at any time without additional charges, subject to availability. For the calculation of the new hotel price, the offers valid on the rebooking date will be applied.
Therefore you do not need a travel cancellation insurance for your hotel booking directly with us.
The most important hygiene rules according to WHO
1 It is best to turn away if you have to cough or sneeze. There should be at least one meter distance between you and other people.
2 Please use a tissue only once. Then dispose of it in a bin with a lid.
3 When coughing or sneezing, keep the crook of your arm in front of your mouth and nose when no tissue is available.
4 After blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing, wash your hands thoroughly, either with alcohol-based disinfectant or with soap and water.